Friday 22 May 2015

Industry Advice

With Final Major Project finished early, I decided to get in contact with some people in industry to ask for their advice on my portfolio. I wanted to ask them what they would be looking for when hiring somebody applying for the position of concept artist.

I emailed four people, ranging from fairly well-known names, to smaller indie style companies. I heard replies from three of them and two of them gave me great feedback so far.

Andy Gibson from 'Team Pesky' the makers of the up and coming Super Little Acorns game, gave me some very good crit on my portfolio work. He said he would like to keep in touch for further advice and inquiries.


I also spoke to Oliver Clarke from Modern Dream at ARCH Creatives, and he really liked the art book I worked on for Final Major Project. He's yet to give me the feedback, but the is also very busy. So far he's told me he can see how much work and effort i've put into my contribution to the book. I ook forward to hearing his full feedback.




They both seemed positive about my work and it gave me confidence to hear what they had to say. I found the constructive criticism very helpful. To have fresh eyes look at them and pick out mistakes that I missed, really helped me gain perspective and see my images in a new way.

However as helpful as the advice is, they made no mention to offering work, which obviously understanding, and very optimistic of me to think that. However, I see it as making connections and getting my name out there. I think I’ll continue to do this, the more names I come across, as its just more publicity for my portfolio.

With the advice they've given me, I feel I can improve my portfolio with 2 – 3 months whilst constantly asking for advice and job offers. I’m prepared that it will take time and I’m glad that I no longer have to worry about uni deadline and set my own projects. I will still set myself deadlines and use what I have learnt at university to time manage efficiently.

I’m so glad I made these connections, and it’s inspired me to make more. There is always that fear that you’re being a pain or a bother to busy industry people. Yet the majority are so willing to give advice despite their busy schedule and it’s always indisputably great advice to take on board. I hope that eventually, one of these connection will become a real career opportunity for the future, or at the very least lead to one.     

No comments:

Post a Comment