Wednesday 20 May 2015

Final Major Project...it is time

So here it is, Final Major Project. My whole University career has lead to this moment. I’ve always been concerned with what I would do, mainly because of the 3D element. The Course is predominantly 3D work based and yet I feel my strengths lie in visual design. I’ve heard of purely 2D FMPs before, but they seemed to be frowned upon. Yet now that I’m here it seems possible.
My initial idea was something I’ve had for a while. I wanted to create an art book filled with images showing a world and the characters within it. This would be a made up world and the book would follow and show the story of this world and how it came to be. The working title so far, is ‘The Miners’.

I've been told that my project will need some 3D element to it, in order to gain better marks. I feel if I can really push myself, I may be able to model a small scene, possibly a diorama of an element from the book. Yet if i am pushed for time, maybe model a key asset from the story.

My main inspiration for this is a film called ‘Sky Blue’/’A Wonderful Days’ It has 2 English titles as it is originally a Korean anime film. below is a brief synopsis.

"Wonderful Days is set in 2142. Environmental pollution has lead to a breakdown of human civilization. A technologically advanced city named Ecoban was built and it harvests energy from the DELOS System, which uses pollution in a carbonite catalyzed reaction to generate power, Carbonite extraction is carried out by people who live outside the city in the surrounding wasteland. Among them is an enigmatic young man known as Shia (Marc Worden). He ends up in a love triangle with his childhood friend, Jay (Cathy Cavadini), and her superior, Ecoban security commander Cade (Kirk Thornton).

Jay chooses Shia over Cade and destroys the thick clouds over Ecoban, allowing blue sky to show through over the city.

The movie deals with environmental destruction, pollution and class struggle."






(apologies for the terrible video quality, was the best i could find)


The imagery in this film is rather beautiful yet quite dark and looming. The soundtrack aslo really contribiutes to the atmosphere. The film is rather slow in parts but its makes up for it in mood and atmosphere. It really succeeds and taking you to this place. This is something i really want to replicate in my art book. 

To achieve this, the images i produce will have to be, highly visually stimulating. I’m going to do some very basic concepts and see what I come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment