Sunday 24 May 2015

End of chapter

So this is it…three years of university gone in what feels like the blink of an eye. There was so much I’ve learnt, but not just about the subject I studied, but also about myself and how I want to progress in the world. Independent living has really been a boost to my confidence and making so many new friends was a big help with that also. My communication skills with people are way beyond what I ever thought I could handle, and this is crucial throughout life, professionally as well as socially.

Choosing to study game art was, in all honesty, a decision made a little lightly. I had an interest and felt university was what I needed to push me just that little bit further out the door. Yet I’ve found myself learning so much more about this industry and I honestly feel it will be such a fin yet challenging career to be a part of. I’ve learnt a lot about general business and extended my knowledge of subjects I thought I had a near firm grasp upon. I’m so glad I made this choice and I hope I can start on my career path in this industry in the near future. I understand it will take just a little more time, but I feel I’m prepared for this. Independent living has taught me this perspective of life. Things sometimes need to take time, and that is okay.

When I first started to approach the end of my time at uni, I began to worry about work. ‘What next?’ I’d say to myself, over and over again. I’ve learnt this industry is touch and that did shake my nerve when it came to my hopes of finding work. I know now, that if I put the effort in, I will see the benefit and opportunities will appear. This has helped me with coping with my ‘what next?’ thoughts. All I need to do is keep working. Keep improving on my art, keep improving my online presence, keep in contact with all those important people I’ve met along the way, and eventually, I will reap the benefits.

Above all, I feel genuinely proud of what I have accomplished during my time at university. I feel it has been one of the most important chapters of my life thus far. It has given me direction in life and taught me to always work hard and always keep busy. I think students do tend to get a bad reputation. They fall under the clichéd notion that they are highly irresponsible when it comes to taking care of themselves. They are generally considered lazy and still highly dependent on hand outs from parents etc. Of course there is a lot of truth in that. I find that thast the case with the more, tradition style courses. Courses which entail rigid lecture structures, with essays and exams that don’t seem to truly engage the student. A lot of the friends I met along the way that studied on these kinds of courses, did actually tend to fall into that student trap. I was happy to see that it isn’t always the case, when it came to my course. The majority seemed so dedicated to the work they were producing, and I found that to be contagious.


Towards the end of second year and throughout the whole of third year, despite what my timetable said, I’d be in every day of the week working on my projects. To think back to first year, when I would stay at home at all times to do work, I can see how far I’ve come. I’ve grown as a person, professionally as well as socially. I’d recommend it to anybody as a great way to get out of normality and challenge yourself. Being home now makes me realise how much I appreciate my own space. I feel this will push me to work hard in getting that first job. I want to thank everybody I’ve met along the way, every person has been a positive influence, I hope to stay in touch with many of my friends. I wish them all the best for the future and maybe, one day, we’ll cross paths again.

Lucy...signing off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment